Sunday, April 11, 2010

Miss Universe Canada 2010 Contestant - Caroline Carsted's Profile/Biodata & Picture


Caroline Carsted


GE: 20 | HEIGHT: 5'8" | HOMETOWN: VANCOUVER, BC

Caroline was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, with a French mother and English - German father. She moved to Vancouver to attend the University of British Columbia where she is currently in her 3rd year of Geological Engineering. Involved in the student orientation program at UBC, she promotes the enrolment of women in engineering.

Growing up in a mixed linguistic home, she is fluent in French, English, and German and is passionate about discovering and exploring other cultures. She was fortunate to spend a year in Germany on a high school exchange when she was 15 years of age. Caroline enjoys taking on challenges especially in sports. She was an avid figure and synchronized skater, played rugby as a winger, and is now a long distance runner. She appreciates the fine arts and paints in her spare time.

Caroline believes that everything happens for a reason and is grateful for all the wonderful experiences she has had in her life so far. She has volunteered as a figure skating coach for the Special Olympic athletes in Calgary. As a member of Engineers Without Borders, she plans on volunteering overseas once she graduates.


Questionnaire:

Are you currently a student? Yes
If yes, where? University of British Columbia – Vancouver Campus
Area of study: Geological Engineering

Are you currently employed? No
If yes, what is your occupation?

Have you completed secondary school? Yes
If yes, where? At Bishop O’Byrne High school in Calgary

Have you completed university/college? No
If yes, where?

Have you completed any technical/professional school? No
If yes, where?
What subject?

Languages spoken Fluently (please include your native language if English is not your native language)
French – I have been raised bilingual, my Mother is originally from Quebec
German – I spent a year on exchange in Germany when I was 15 years old, and can now speak the language fairly fluently. (I could barely count to ten before I moved there).

List any special training you have had (music, art, drama, dance, etc).

1. I took ballet for eight years during my childhood.
2. I have been playing the piano since I was seven and was enrolled in the Royal Conservatory of Music examination program in Calgary.
3. I am a painter. A lot of my work is showcased at my High School in Calgary and Germany.

In what sports, if any, have you participated and how long have you participated in each sport?

1. Synchronized Skating: I competed in this sport at a national level for 3 years.
2. Figure Skating: I trained for 5 years and specialized in ice dance.
3. Rugby: I played during my senior year in high school and was part of a competitive women’s rugby team the following year.
4. Track and Field: I was a varsity athlete competing for UBC and raced in the 8km, 10km and 21km events. In 2009, I placed first for my age group in all of my races.

Please list any schools and universities (public/private/graduate/trade or technical) you have or are attending, as well as the area of study, graduation date and any degree or certification you received.

Bishop O’Byrne High School – Calgary, Alberta. I graduated in 2007 with my high school diploma.

University of British Columbia – Vancouver, BC. I am enrolled in the Bachelor of Applied Science program, specializing in Geological Engineering. I will graduate in 2012.

What charity/charities have you supported with your time and/or resources over past two years?

Engineering Without Borders (EWB): I have volunteered at fund raising events which have helped raise thousands of dollars to assist with underdeveloped communities in Africa.
I have also promoted fair trade coffee throughout the year by initiating consumer awareness at popular events and providing local coffee shops with insightful information

What would be your "dream job" in life?
My dream job would be to start my own wind and solar energy company. Someday, I would like to implement environmentally friendly methods of generating electricity throughout Canada.

Name one person, other than your parents, who has had the most influence on your life? Why?

My grandmother has had the most influence on my life. She has taught me to be a mature and respectable woman. She is a great role model and is still involved in many charitable organizations.

What is the proudest personal accomplishment (other than being in this or any other beauty pageant competition)

My proudest personal accomplishment is having gone to Germany for a year when I was 15. I didn’t know anyone and couldn’t speak a word of German beforehand. I attended a local German High school and managed to pass all of my classes.

What is your career ambition and what are you doing or plan to do to accomplish that goal?
I plan to someday work as an international engineering consultant. I would like to specialize in wind and geothermal energy. It would be my goal to increase the amount of renewable and environmental friendly energy sources in Canada.

Describe where you were raised and what your childhood was like.

I was born and raised in Calgary, AB. I have a younger brother named Philippe, and we both have been raised bilingual. My Mother is originally from Quebec and my father is of German descent. Growing up, I was always involved in extracurricular activities such as basketball, ballet and piano. I started figure skating at the age of 11, and competed at a national level with my synchronized skating team when I was in High School. My family enjoys traveling and we take trips together every year.

List any interesting or unusual jobs you may have had.

I am currently completing an internship with BC Hydro in Vancouver. I am the only female in the Market and Load Forecast department. My job is to forecast the natural gas industry over the next 30 years.

This summer I will be working as an engineer in the oil sands north of Ft. McMurray. I will be designing the tailings dams. Tailings are the residues left over after the oil has been separated from the sand.

List any volunteering you have done.
In the past, I have volunteered as a figure skating coach for the Special Olympic athletes in Calgary. I look forward to coaching the Vancouver athletes this winter.

I am also actively involved in the orientation program at my University. I give presentations on the engineering program to High School students. My main goal is to promote the enrolment of women in the engineering program.

Where is the most interesting place you have been?
The most interesting place that I have been is the Great Dune of Pyla, located in France. It is one of the largest sand dunes in the world and I got the opportunity to climb it.

What makes you unique and different from the other contestants?
What makes me unique from other contestants are the life experiences that I have had so far. I am probably one of the few contestants that has played competitive rugby and is an engineer.

What is your philosophy of/in life?
My philosophy is to appreciate every little thing in life. My favourite quote is by Albert Enstein: “There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” I try to live by believing that everything is a miracle.

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?
Ten years from I hope to have started my own family and have a successful career. I plan on volunteering with the Engineers Without Borders and would like to provide clean drinking water for at least 25,000 people in Eastern Africa before I turn 30.

Is there anything you would like to tell us about yourself? Something unique that has happened to you? Some interesting thing about you?
This will be my first beauty pageant. I have been modeling for a year now and started my career after being discovered at a charity fashion show. So far, I may be seen in an American magazine, many wedding catalogues, and I have my picture on a vehicle. Modeling isn’t my main career goal, but I really enjoy working with charitable organization. My next fashion show is to raise money for the Canuck Place Children's Hospice.

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...