Thursday, April 15, 2010

Miss Universe Canada 2010 Contestant - Megan Franklin's Photo & Profile/Biodata


Megan Franklin

AGE: 21 | HEIGHT: 5'9" | HOMETOWN: ST. CATHARINES, ON

An award winning figure skater, sommelier, and coach this is not the first time Megan has competed on a national stage. Born and raised in St. Catharines Megan studied history and sport management at Brock University and winery and viticulture studies at Niagara College before becoming a certified sommelier. She currently works for a not for profit theatre company.

Athletics has played a major role in Megan’s life. She gained experience and love for competition as a member of Canada’s National Synchronized Figure Skating Team from 1997 - 2003. She now shares the lessons that she learned with younger athletes through coaching. As synchronized skating coach of the Brock figure skating team she led her team to two undefeated seasons and was part of the staff that received the 2006 OUA Coach of the Year Award. She also volunteers as a rowing coach for high school students.

Through her studies of viticulture Megan has found a new appreciation for our Canadian farmers. She is a believer in purchasing products that have been locally grown and produced to support her neighbours.

As an active member of her community, Megan routinely participates in local events including The St Catharines’ Downtown Chili Cook Off in support of Community Care, allowing her to give back to the community that has given her so much. She is also a member of COWAC (Council on World Affairs Canada) which promotes the study of world issues.

Questionnaire

Are you currently a student?
If yes, where?
Area of study:

No

Are you currently employed?
If yes, what is your occupation?

I am the food and beverage department manager at the Shaw Festival Theatre in Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario.

Have you completed secondary school?
If yes, where?

I graduated from grade 12 in 2001 and attended St. Francis Secondary school in St. Catharines Ontario. I completed my O.A.C year at Lakeport Secondary School in St. Catharines and graduated in 2002.

Have you completed university/college?
If yes, where?

I studied history and sports management at Brock University and also completed a wine sales and marketing degree. I also studied winery and viticulture at Niagara College before becoming a sommelier.

Have you completed any technical/professional school?
If yes, where?
What subject?

I completed my wine council of Ontario certification in wines of Ontario as well as wine sales and marketing.

Languages spoken Fluently (please include your native language if English is not your native language)

I speak English and French

List any special training you have had (music, art, drama, dance, etc).

I danced for a few years when I was younger and also took a few art classes. As a kid I was really into drawing Disney characters. I also took a few acting classes in order to help with the artistic side of figure skating.

In what sports, if any, have you participated and how long have you participated in each sport?

Figure Skating – 20 years
Cross Country Running – 12 years
Rowing – 8 years
Track and Field – 8 years
Soccer – 6 years
Skiing – 6 years
Volleyball – 4 years
Snowboarding – 2 years
Field Hockey – 1 year

I have also tried cross country skiing, snowshoeing and curling.

What charity/charities have you supported with your time and/or resources over past two years?

Charities that I have supported over the past 2 years include Community Care of Niagara, COPE or community outreach program Erie, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, the Canadian Diabetes Association and Out of the Cold.

What would be your "dream job" in life?

When I was younger I wanted to be a race car driver. Unfortunately my terrible eyesight will keep me from that. My dream job now would either be to teach skating for a living or to open my own winery.

Name one person, other than your parents, who has had the most influence on your life? Why?

I have had the opportunity to experience a lot of different things in life and because of that I don’t know that I could narrow it down to just one most influential person. I think that I draw inspiration and influence from many different places and events. I think that keeping an open mind and being open to ideas and values from everyone you meet gives you a broader perspective on life.

What is the proudest personal accomplishment (other than being in this or any other beauty pageant competition)

My proudest personal accomplishment would have to be making the Canadian National Synchronized Skating team. I spent 6 years representing Canada in competitions all over the world and even brought home a few gold medals. I can honestly say there is no better feeling in the world than watching your flag being raised above the others and hearing your national anthem over the sound system.

What is your career ambition and what are you doing or plan to do to accomplish that goal?

My career ambition would be to open my own winery or wine education school.

Describe where you were raised and what your childhood was like.

I was born and raised in St. Catharines Ontario and lived in a small area of town called Port Dalhousie. Growing up in the Niagara Region definitely had its advantages. I can’t think of many other places where you have farms, vineyards, farmers markets, orchards, great lakes, ponds, rivers, a natural wonder of the world, a United Nations world biosphere reserve, colleges, a university and also a thriving business and tourism sector. I mean we literally had absolutely everything at our fingertips. I spent a lot of time playing outside at the park down the street from my house. At the other end of our street was Lake Ontario where we would go to the beach and ride the carousel at Lakeside Park. I also spent a lot of time in the local arenas as a competitive figure skater. To this day I still landmark places by their proximity to certain arenas.

List any interesting or unusual jobs you may have had.

I have held a lot of different jobs over my lifetime. I’ve worked as a donut maker, ice cream scooper, wine maker, 1812 historical tour guide, winery tour guide, bartender and figure skating coach.

List any volunteering you have done.

I’ve done a lot of volunteering over the years. I’ve worked at the out of the cold program at St. Alfred’s Church. This is a program that provides hot meals and beds to the homeless over the winter months. I was the head coach of the A.N Myer rowing program in Niagara Falls. This was a very time consuming endeavour. Rowing is a sport which requires students to practice a minimum 5 days a week and usually practices begin at 5 am. I’ve also volunteered as a canvasser for the Canadian Cancer Society and the Canadian Diabetes Association. I have worked with the Save our Seaport committee which is a group dedicated to preserving the historic village of Port Dalhousie. I also take my dog Heidi who is a St. John’s Ambulance therapy dog to retirement homes to visit with the residents.

Where is the most interesting place you have been?

I have had the opportunity to travel to many different locations all over the world. I think that my favourite places would be a tie between Milan Italy and Vancouver British Columbia.

What makes you unique and different from the other contestants?

What makes me different and unique from the other contestants would probably be all of the unglamorous things that I enjoy doing in my spare time. I love to enter chilli cook offs and would like to one day rent an RV and travel around on the chilli cook off circuit and make a documentary about my experiences. I am also probably the biggest fan of Canadian culture you will ever meet. I love moose, lumberjacks, maple syrup and basically anything associated with Canadiana.

What is your philosophy of/in life?

My philosophy in life is to not take anything too seriously. Being able to see the lighter side of bad situations is something that can help you get through a lot. I also like to take pleasure in the small things. While I do believe that setting high goals is important I also think that you should reflect and take pride in the small victories as that’s what helps get you through the day.

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

In 10 years I hope to be healthy and happy. I couldn’t ask for anything else.

Is there anything you would like to tell us about yourself? Something unique that has happened to you? Some interesting thing about you?

An interesting fact about me is that I have survived 4 major car accidents and also once being hit by a car while running. Some may say that I just have bad luck or am a bad driver but I think that there must be some reason why I’m still here, or that I must have some greater purpose in life.

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...