Thursday, April 15, 2010

Miss Universe Canada 2010 Contestant - Maria Mejia's Photo & Profile/Biodata's Photo & Profile/Biodata


Maria Mejia

AGE: 21 | HEIGHT: 5'8" | HOMETOWN: MONTREAL, QC

Maria was born in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. She moved to Canada after the age of 7 with her family whom wanted to give her a better future. Her perseverance and her constant efforts enabled her to learn french and get many awards for academic excellence and leadership, since her first year in Canada. After graduating from College Jean de Brebeuf, she is currently doing a bachelor in Business - Marketing profile, at Universite du Quebec a Montreal. She hopes to work in the fashion or media industry one day.

During her life, Maria has dedicated her time to various volunteer activities to raise funds for charities. Among others she has participated in various fashion shows and fundraisings events. Becoming Miss Universe Canada would be an opportunity for her to become a spokesperson and role model for young Canadian women.

Maria is a very down to earth person, but she believes that dreams can become true. Her personality makes her a person who likes to be surrounded and loves learning from everyone’s differences. Her positivism makes her believe that everything happens for a reason and that every challenge is an experience that will make her grow.

Questionnaire

Are you currently a student?
If yes, where?
Area of study:
Bachelor in Business Management- Marketing profile, at Université du Quebec à Montréal.

Are you currently employed?
If yes, what is your occupation?
I’m currently working part-time as a fashion advisor in a department store.

Have you completed secondary school?
If yes, where?
I graduated from secondary school in 2006 at Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf.

Have you completed university/college?
If yes, where?
Yes. I completed CEGEP at College Jean de Brebeuf in 2009, and am currently studying at Université du Québec à Montréal.

Have you completed any technical/professional school?
If yes, where?
What subject?
No.

Languages spoken Fluently (please include your native language if English is not your native language)

Spanish, French and English

List any special training you have had (music, art, drama, dance, etc).

I took a painting class for 2 years.
I took clarinette and piano lessons.

In what sports, if any, have you participated and how long have you participated in each sport?

I was part of the flag-football team in College.
I competed in athleticism for 2 years.

Please list any schools and universities (public/private/graduate/trade or technical) you have or are attending, as well as the area of study, graduation date and any degree or certification you received.

Collège de Montréal (High School) -2006
Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf (College) – 2009
Université du Québec à Montréal (University) - present

What charity/charities have you supported with your time and/or resources over past two years?

The Red Cross, World Vision

What would be your "dream job" in life?

My dream job would be to work in the fashion industry, in communications or in marketing. I have also always dreamed to be a film director.

Name one person, other than your parents, who has had the most influence on your life? Why?

One of my aunts once told me that we should always appreciate what we have, because we never know when we could lose it all. This advice has helped me all my life to be greatful for what I have.

What is the proudest personal accomplishment (other than being in this or any other beauty pageant competition)

Ever since my childhood, I have won several awards for leadership and academic excellence.

What is your career ambition and what are you doing or plan to do to accomplish that goal?

Later, I want to combine my love for the media and fashion, and perhaps become a fashion correspondent. To do this, I’ll have to persevere, never give up and learn from my mistakes.

Describe where you were raised and what your childhood was like.

I grew up in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Coming from a very large family with Christian values, every occasion was an excuse to get together. I had many friends in my neighbourhood, but I spent most of my days with my brother and my cousin. When I was 7, my parents decided to move to Montreal, to offer us a better education and a more secure place for our future. The first months were difficult because of the language and the climate, but gradually we got used to it. Very quickly, I made new friends with whom I spent my evenings with at the park or in my backyard after I had completed my homework. A few years later, we were expecting a new member in our family, my little sister who’s 10 years old now. My childhood was marked by much love from my parents and my relatives.

List any interesting or unusual jobs you may have had.

I was once firefighter for a day. After winning a drawing contest, I spent my day with a team of firefighters, participating in relief activities with them.

List any volunteering you have done.

I participated in many volunteering activities in school. I participated in the collection baskets during the Christmas holiday season. At the end of the collection, we visited poor families to give them a basket full of provisions. Throughout my studies, I also participated in various fashion shows to raise money for charities.

I also volunteered in my uncle’s pharmacy in Honduras three years ago. I helped him greet customers and take their orders. This was one great experience because it allowed me to get to know the people of this village and learn about their values.

Where is the most interesting place you have been?

One of the most interesting places I have visited is Utila, because of its beautiful beaches overlooking the east coast of Honduras.

What makes you unique and different from the other contestants?

I am a very down to earth person, but I believe that dreams can become true with perseverance and patience. What makes me unique is my charm and my positivism. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that every challenge is an experience that will make me learn and grow.

What is your philosophy of/in life?

For me, life has a very great value because we live it only once. That's why I think we should live each day as if it were the last, appreciate all that’s given to us and take advantage of every chance we have, without regrets.

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

In ten years I hope to have finished my studies and be working a job that I am passionate about. I see myself as a very strong woman who has always been defending her values and who has never forgotten who she is and where she came from.

Is there anything you would like to tell us about yourself? Something unique that has happened to you? Some interesting thing about you?

My friends consider me as a person who likes to make people laugh. I love planning activities, having fun and enjoy life. I love to meet new people, listen to them and learn from everyone’s differences. I’m very passionate in what I do, and I have a big passion for music. I also believe that everyone has the power to change the world, but the change has to start in everyone’s heart.

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...