Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Miss Universe Canada 2010 Contestant - Golnaz Harandi's Photo & Profile/Biodata


Golnaz Harandi

AGE: 18 | HEIGHT: 5'9" | HOMETOWN: WEST VANCOUVER, BC

In Canada, it seems that the doors are open to all people of the world. Luckily, Golnaz was one of those people. At the age of 8, Golnaz and her family left their home in Tehran, Iran, and settled in Vancouver, BC. She is very proud to call Canada, a unique nation made up of a seamless mosaic of people, her home.

She was welcomed with open arms into this land of equal opportunity, and in turn, she embraces all the privileges that come with living in Canada. Education is one of those luxuries that Golnaz does not take for granted. She is currently in her first year studying towards a Bachelors of Arts, in the field of Psychology at Capilano University. She aspires to obtain a career that involves helping people and promoting a healthy and balanced lifestyle. The only thing sweeter than this girl's compassion is her sweet tooth. However, not all of Golnaz's experiences were just a cake-walk.

A political leader once said, 'Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure.' If you ask Golnaz after her first piano recital how successful a pianist she would be, she would have said, with her head bowed, eyes blurred and teary, 'I'm no good.' After a few missing notes in her cadences, and a couple of fumbles, Golnaz's first piano performance was to say the least, a monumental minor disaster. Years later, Golnaz has become a professional pianist for 8 years - all from humble beginnings. Her repertoire of talents is extensive. She has overcome her failures, and proves to be a confident and successful pianist, dance performer, and amateur fashion designer. She has obtained a teaching certificate in advanced belly dancing and has designed, and sewn, a unique collection of pieces in her school's fashion shows. Golnaz's perseverance has proven to be unwavering.

She is dedicated to becoming an excellent role model for young ladies. Golnaz intends on using her personal experiences and skills to promote the belief that success, and happiness, is the product of hard work, tenacious determination, and courage to overcome your fears and combat life's obstacles. The opportunity to represent Canada at Miss Universe brings great honor, along with a tremendous responsibility, which Golnaz is prepared, well-suited, and excited to take on.

Questionnaire

Are you currently a student? Yes
If yes, where? Capilano University
Area of study: Studying towards Bachelors of Arts, in the field of Psychology


Are you currently employed? Yes
If yes, what is your occupation? Host at Cactus Club Cafe

Have you completed secondary school? Yes
If yes, where? Rockridge Secondary School

Have you completed university/college? No
If yes, where?-



Have you completed any technical/professional school? no
If yes, where? -
What subject? -

Languages spoken Fluently (please include your native language if English is not your native language)
• Native Language: Farsi ( Iran )
• Second Language: English

List any special training you have had (music, art, drama, dance, etc).
• professional pianist for 8 years
• obtained a teaching certificate in advanced belly dancing
• Studied Fashion Design for 4 years ;designed and sewn a unique collection of pieces in school’s fashion shows

In what sports, if any, have you participated and how long have you participated in each sport?
• Volleyball team: two years
• Basketball team: two years.
• Track and field: one year
• Swimming: one year
• Belly dancing: two years


Please list any schools and universities (public/private/graduate/trade or technical) you have or are attending, as well as the area of study, graduation date and any degree or certification you received.
• First year at Capilano University , studying towards a Bachelors of Arts, in the field of Psychology.




What charity/charities have you supported with your time and/or resources over past two years?
• Cops for Cancer
• The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
• 30 Hour Famine
• SOS Children Villages

what would be your "dream job" in life?

My absolute dream job is to become a Pediatrician. I have an immense passion for working with kids. This job would enable me to provide practical help to those in need and to put a smile on children's faces and their families by giving them hope




Name one person, other than your parents, who has had the most influence on your life? Why?

Mani Djazmi, my cousin, completely lost his sight at the age of fifteen. He always had great passion for sports and currently, despite his situation, he is a very successful radio talk show host in the UK . Seeing his performance makes me appreciate the simplest things in life that we might take for granted at times. This pushes me even harder to succeed and set a great example for others as well.


What is the proudest personal accomplishment (other than being in this or any other beauty pageant competition)
My proudest accomplishment would have to be getting over my fear of performing for an audience. After my horrific experience, performing for my first time, I overcame the nerves and successfully managed to perform in a subsequent event and learned to enjoy every moment of it.


What is your career ambition and what are you doing or plan to do to accomplish that goal?
• My career ambition is to get my PHD in Psychology. To accomplish my goal, I am attending University fulltime. I’m also trying to grasp as much information as I can from successful Psychologists and getting their opinions to see what Path I should take in order to reach my set goal.



Describe where you were raised and what your childhood was like.

I Born in Tehran , the capital city of Iran . Living in a quite neighbourhood with strict parents had its ups and downs. Irritated at times with different private lessons and tutors, I slowly began to understand and appreciate my parents’ efforts to invest in my future. Moving to Canada and starting a life over was also a difficult transition; however, it helped me become stronger as an individual. Reflecting on the past, the situations and atmosphere helped me to push forward and appreciate all opportunities that we all possess as Canadians



List any interesting or unusual jobs you may have had.

Volunteering at a senior center and communicating with people almost four times my age, really opened my eyes and made me look into the future. Hearing their stories, experiences and lifestyle made me understand their point of view. Now quite often when I see an elderly woman, I picture myself and wonder how I’d like to look sixty years from now.


List any volunteering you have done.
• Harmony Arts Festival
• senior center
• Children’s Festival
• Kanata Club
• Work Experience A+B


Where is the most interesting place you have been?

When I was ten years old, I visited Venice , Italy with my parents. Seeing the houses on water and canoes as taxies opened up a whole new perspective in my eyes and showed me how environmentally friendly people around the world are.


What makes you unique and different from the other contestants?

What makes me unique and different from the other contestants is that I am very much "the girl next door" while still being a successful pageant contestant. Outside of the pageant, I live a very honest, wholesome, and regular life, which I think is more or less NOT unique. I think being able to relate to all young Canadian females is what makes me different from the other contestants.



What is your philosophy of/in life?

Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible’.

True success comes from within and a balanced lifestyle. To accomplish this, we must deal with the reality which resembles gravity. Obey it and it will help you do great things, even fly. Ignore it, and you will fall and hurt yourself.



What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

In 10 years time, I picture myself as a successful individual, with or without winning this pageant. Thanks to great parenting and a fantastic environment, possibilities are endless. Giving back to the community by helping others, especially kids, is my main goal in life. I have hopes of getting my PHD in psychology and wish to provide counselling for kids by offering guidance and assisting them in the right direction.


Is there anything you would like to tell us about yourself? Something unique that has happened to you? Some interesting thing about you?

I believe that getting lucky in the gene pool is quite common these days. Lifting weights and running miles is also an easy way of cheating seduction, but at the end of the day, a Ferrari is no good without an engine. Performing your inelegance is where personalities stand apart!

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...